Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Return of the H-Bear

One thing that's been really fun for me since Zach was born is unpacking all of Luke's old baby clothes and bringing back all sorts of funny little memories. Like the fruit pajamas that Luke wore after his 2-month welcome party, in which he made his biggest smile ever recorded for the camera. But the pajamas that Zach is wearing now (see exhibit A) make me smile for another reason...I bought them for Luke at Costco and didn't notice until I got home that there was some curious wording on the front. There are three bears, each with an arrow pointing to them, and the bottom two say "Fuzzy and Cuddly" and "Fluffy," but the top one, curiously enough, says "H" - and that's it. It wasn't until several weeks after I bought the pajamas that I saw another pair in a regular Carter's store and I learned that the top bear was supposed to say "Huggable" (I imagined Costco stores in another part of the country, say, New Jersey, with a big shipment of the same pajamas with the top bear labeled "uggable." Anyway, whenever Luke would wear them, we would call him the H-Bear - and now the H-Bear has returned.

Strange things happening around the house...Dave and Luke made a project this weekend of putting the crib together for Zach (who is currently sleeping in the sidecar co-sleeper in our room). Apparently Luke was extremely disappointed to learn that Zach wouldn't be sleeping in the crib right away, because Luke suddenly got hung up on the fact that he sleeps in his room ALL ALONE and he doesn't want to be ALONE anymore. (Attachment parenting friends: I'm with you all the way except on this - I cannot have a toddler sleep in my room with me or else I will never get to sleep. It's bad enough with grunty, gassy Zach in the room.) So Luke woke up not once , not twice, but THREE times on Sunday night to declare that he didn't want to be alone (at 10:30, 1:30, and 3:30 - and I didn't even bother going back to sleep after the last one because Zach was about to wake up any minute). We knew we had to nip this one in the bud, and somehow, once we got past a major bedtime battle last night, Luke didn't wake up again. Tonight Luke was safely tucked in and unfortunately, as I write this, he is making another appearance ("I don't want to be alone!"). Ugh. Wish us luck.

Zach has been cooing and gooing for most of the day, and in fact he was cooing right before I took this picture. A funny thing about Zach - he's like a little clock. He'll stay awake with me up until exactly 9:45 on the nose, when he conks out for good. When I took this picture and posted it (time recorded about 9:30) Zach was making happy noises but I could see his eyelids getting lower. So I dashed upstairs and we settled into the rocking chair just in time. At the stroke of 9:45 it was good night baby, or should I say, good night, H-Bear.

No comments: