Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Half A Year


On this warm summer-like October day, I spent the morning snuggling and mugging with my roly-poly cutey pie, who is exactly six months old today. He was up this morning gooing in such a high-pitched voice that it was actually more like singing - I'm thinking I should start an audio blog just to record his little noises. So all morning long it was "AaaahAAAAAAaaaaah AaaaahAAAaaaaaaah" until Dave finally said, "Are you sure there isn't anything we can do to improve his mood?"

Oh, and not that you would know it from all of the singing, but his second tooth broke through today. Now at least we're symmetrical.

Zach and I went out to run an errand today and when I tucked him back in the carseat I saw a bunch of stuff swirling in the air inside my car. It wasn't until some landed on Zach's leg that I realized what it was - a little piece of ash. The air is so thick with smog and soot from all of the fires that are burning around us that it is literally falling on our heads. We are so fortunate not to be near them, but even the little pieces that touch us remind us of the many struggles that people are going through even as I write this. Although we made it through the challenge of bringing baby Zach home safely, we know that there are more struggles yet to come, and we can only hope that what we have been through already has made us stronger to face what's ahead, and more appreciative of what we have here and now.

That's not meant to be a downer, by the way. How can I be down when all I am hearing is "AaaaaAAAAAAaah, aaaaaAAAAAaaaaah"?

Happy half-birthday, my half-year-old boy.

3 comments:

Joe said...

You know what? He is turning into one of the cutest kids I've ever seen... must be because he looks a little like me... yeah, thats the ticket...

Jeanne said...

Aw, shucks. Thanky. Must mean he looks like me too, right?

Joe said...

Neeeeee-o. I'm thinkin' more me....